Technical Facilitator Scope of Work and Contact Information
Niagara Falls Storage Site (NFSS)
The technical facilitator, Doug Sarno, will serve as a liaison between the US Army Corps of Engineers and community members on technical issues associated with the preparation and development of five technical memoranda and the Feasibility Study (FS) report for the Interim Waste Containment Structure Operable Unit (IWCS OU) at NFSS.
The technical facilitator contract identifies the following activities directing the technical facilitator’s interaction with the community:
1. Serve As Point of Contact With the Community
- Handle community inquiries;
- Prioritize technical requests and serve as conduit of information among those within the community that wish to be involved;
- Provide technical assistance to the community by reviewing, evaluating, and discussing documents;
- Assist the community in providing input to the Corps throughout the NFSS FS Process;
- Assist the community with understanding the technical memoranda and FS report prior to submission of community comments due to the technical complexity of these documents;
- Work with community members to identify, focus, prioritize, and frame issues to establish and maintain ongoing dialog and relationship between community and the Corps;
- Explain benefits and trade-offs of alternatives evaluated in the FS;
- Resolve disputes, disagreements, and divergent views between the Corps and the community;
- Be available for verbal/written interaction with interested parties related to the project;
- Prepare issue briefs as necessary and summarize and analyze community issues and correspond with the Corps on these issues as necessary.
2. Interact with USACE
- Support Corps community outreach actions;
- Funnel pertinent questions from the community to the Corps and communicate Corps responses back to the community. The Contractor may answer community questions without USACE input but shall provide his/her answers to the Corps when submitted to the community.
3. Participate at Meetings with the Community
- Attend meetings with the community and the Corps;
- Facilitate presentation and discussions, actively, not passively with community members and/or the Corps;
- Prepare draft meeting minutes for technically facilitated sessions, circulate for review, revise and distribute.
Doug is available to assist any stakeholder with questions, issues or concerns about the IWCS OU FS. He will also be working directly with the LOOW Community Action Council to attend and facilitate its monthly meetings. Doug can be reached at 301-798-2713 (w); 703-927-6265 (c); or email@example.com.